Thursday, February 4, 2010

Potty Training = FAIL


If you want advice on how to potty train your toddler don't bother asking me. When parenting became a single issue with me, I have to say I did pretty spectacular. My kiddo listens to me, is pretty good overall, and a very loving child. My view of kiddo is a proud one and I generally think she is pretty awesome as far as kiddos go.

I tried to start potty training about a month ago. I made a big deal about going to Wal-Mart and having her pick out her new underwear and some gummy worms as rewards. The first try she treated her new big girl underwear just like diapers and then pooped on my floor. New approach, I will physically put her on the potty every 30 minutes. She threw a tantrum, kicking, screaming, etc. I have repeated this scene every time I have her. The other day she actually pooped on the floor in the bathroom instead of the living room, so I think we are getting there. Then I have a conversation with one of kiddos friends moms and I said I couldn't wait to not have to wipe her butt anymore. She then explained you still have to wipe! WHAT IS THE POINT THEN?!??!?! She might as well stay in diapers as long as possible if I'm still doing the wiping. Plus, from what I hear once she is potty trained we won't be able to pass a bathroom without her needing to go. The only downside is I couldn't put her in toddler dance class at the community center because she has to be out of diapers, and that teacher is HOT. I guess there is some motivation for me. In the meantime, I will let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. I am in the midst of this too. Not fun and as far as I am concerned, diapers are much more convienient. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I have to say, I don't miss those days. I remember with my youngest, when he was still in diapers, he took it off after having done a #2 and wiped his poop all over the downstairs--toys, furniture, the walls...now THAT was a sign.

    Thanks for stopping by the other day! Keep writing--it's fun to share these steps with so many others!

    Be well, KiddosDad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! You cracked me up with "and that teacher is HOT."

    I let my kids direct me when they were ready to potty train. Once they were ready, I didn't have to do much at all.

    And yes, she will want to visit restrooms wherever you go but she will outgrow it eventually.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete