Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Barack Obama Boulevard and REK


I can't wait. Tomorrow at this time I will be at the Pageant in the STL with a great friend from college watching my favorite singer/songwriter Robert Earl Keen.

When I found out he was coming to town for his yearly stop I rolled down to the Loop to get my tickets at the box office. The "Loop" in St. Louis is the part of town that is a Volvo/Subaru/Prius gathering spot. These cars are generally complete with at least one Obama bumper sticker and at minimum one sort of cause they support. Cool, whatever, I'm a conservative so to each his own. As an aside I'm not one of those douchebag tea party members or anything(how embarrassing are those guys?) I'm more of a moderate.

Point is I'm strolling down the street and notice the city of STL has renamed the iconic street home to our best music venues and head shops, Barack Obama Boulevard. You have to be shitting me. I'm all for honoring great figures of history with a street every now and again, but this seems a little premature.

So tomorrow night as I am drinking Busch bottles and singing along with the greatest musician to grace the stage, I will pour a little of that beer out to honor you, Delmar Boulevard and all the great memories you gave me throughout the years.

3 comments:

  1. My soon to be ex is one of those embarasing Tea Party guys. It is embarassing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I don't see a contact option anywhere - so going for the comments - can you message me about the REK show? I have some info I want to send you! Thanks!

    insightmg8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you hear that some of the tea party people are calling themselves t-baggers?

    ReplyDelete