Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Brownies and Births


Some friends of mine are getting ready to have a baby and told me tonight about going to baby class to get prepared for the upcoming birth. I remembered back to my days of going to that class with the ex. I really had no idea what to expect, I wasn't even expecting to be expecting at that time in my life!

We did the class at the hospital closest to us and where we were planning on having kiddo. We did not have health insurance at the time and it looked like we were in good company. Lots of teenagers and their moms. There was only one other one other couple in the entire class. It lasts for about six weeks from what I remember, and I got some use full information out of it. Nothing I couldn't have learned reading a book.

The final class the nurse asked us to bring in a snack for the entire class. I don't remember what we brought, but there were some interesting choices on the table. My personal favorite was the box of Little Debbie brownies. I stuck with those since they were individually wrapped. We all go down to the lecture hall in the hospital and get comfortable with our food and she pops the projector on and shows us an actual birth. What the crap!?! We are all eating food and drinking soda here! Come on lady! I have never seen this happen before and stop in mid bite. It's like watching a train wreck. The educational video ends, lights come up, I toss my brownie in the trash and get pushed down the hall to the parking garage by the ex telling me "Come on its natural and beautiful." Or something to that effect.

Even though I was a bit shell shocked, I was prepared when kiddos bday finally rolled around and would highly recommend any first time dads to go to the class. Moms, you already know what to expect, so make your husbands/boyfriends go with you!

2 comments:

  1. I took my class with my mom and thank god I ended up having a C-section. Much easier!

    ReplyDelete